Day One: My Corona Virus Journal

One of my favorite haunts... Happy Camp Hideaway

Deke's Note: I never gave much thought to the possibility Corona would strike from within my own family. However, it has. Now I must self-isolate myself from my admired co-workers and those who depend upon me to transport them in my badass time machine.


Most likely, I won't develop any symptoms, but on the off-chance I do become ill, it's vital that I document it here for nothing other than posterity's sake. Oh well, I'll kick Corona's ass with some good ol' Scotch. Either way, I promise to daily update you on my family's journey. Whatever happens, know this: I LOVE you all, whether you agree with my late-night rantings, or find them boorish. It is for you, after all, that I continue writing. There's certainly no monetary gain from it. Oh, and thanks for reading, by the way.

Day 1:

My college-age son called from work tonight telling me his company was shutting its doors because one or more of his co-workers had tested positive for Corona Virus. As he has had close contact with at least one of them, he called our medical provider immediately. He reported having at least two early symptoms: a cough and sore throat. The advice nurse advised him to self-isolate for the recommended two weeks. She also said that my wife and I should adhere to the same protocol. Neither my Beloved or I have any symptoms, but for the past several weeks my job has exposed me to everything possible that comes through those bus doors.

Although I have taken special precautions the past week to make my operational area clean, while also ordering that passengers leave several windows open to improve circulation for my safety and theirs. Still, my son has been exposed to the virus, and we three live in close proximity. Therefore, I must adhere to medical advice to ensure my co-workers and passengers escape any possibility that I am infected with this virus.

This possible quarantine will likely result in many
a booze-addled night. I know you're with me,
so it won't be half as bad. Thanks!

Am I scared? Hell yes. However, I've been blessed with a strong immune system. For several decades, I have successfully-avoided every nasty flu bug. Sure, I've become ill, but it is usually short-lived and my response has been to simply: sleep it off. Do the normal stuff recommended by the medical oligarchy I pay heavily each pay period.

Can't avoid exposure these days, being threatened by every bug that slithers through my bus door and having several seconds of close interaction with those who pay fare. I've often worried about our risk factors, but it hasn't stopped me from trying to uplift my passengers who share our fears from this latest pandemic.

Due to several failures to secure FMLA leaves for my Beloved's continuing health challenges, I have foregone the past two "service awards" which only allow for 16 hours of sick leave before the clock resets. I don't care about that. As long as I keep accruing "Safe Driving Awards" I can accept that I fall far behind my buddy/classmate Sam who has attained elevated status as a Bus Operator. But he's an exception; last year I had to beg him to take sick leave due to a health issue that affected his safe operation. He is extremely-motivated to serve, but he needed support to take time for recovery. That's devotion; it is exhibited every day by transit operators worldwide. I was relieved when he grudgingly agreed to take the time to recover. It didn't affect his receiving the next service award he was entitled to as a safe operator. I wish management would remove the "time loss" bullshit and reward safe drivers for our diligence rather than disciplining us for taking care of our health. By doing so, we also ensure the safety of our passengers.
I sniff every rose I see, savoring the scents
of nature, which remind me life is good
no matter its obstacles.

You're reading this, likely affected by our country's failure to properly-prepare for Corona-not-the-beer. If not today, soon you may hear from a family member, co-worker and/or close friend who has become infected. It's terrifying. The other night, I wrote a short story (Life Renewed Again...) describing a frightening scenario I pray we don't ever have to see. After a few weeks of increasing paranoia-based fear, I couldn't resist writing about it. Since I no longer cling to anonymity as Deke, I pointed my readers to my alter-ego/true self's less-read blog. It's a hard read, but more fiction than our future reality. Please read it and offer your critiques.

So here I sit, waiting for my doctor to call and confirm my self-isolation. I would be horribly-surprised, aghast, if he says "no problem, just go back to work" like our President has. If I am infected with Corona, and even one of my passengers were to die from such foolishness, I would be devastated. I could die too. Nothing in this dream we call "life" is assured, except death and taxes. Transit operators pay both with increasing frequency as the years roll by from our ultra-vulnerable seat.

There are many horrific scenarios playing in my mind right now. Is my son infected with something that could take his life? Probably not... he's 22 and incredibly strong; a university student with a stellar GPA intent upon becoming an Actuary, whatever the fuck that is. My wife suffers from a chronic health issue which has rendered her constantly in pain, exacerbated after she was rear-ended in our car last December. I'm growing older, Type II diabetic with a family history of heart disease.

My older son has just been laid off from his job as a food-service waiter. Serving the multitudes their food as I give rides to some of them, he has also been exposed to God-knows how many virus carriers. He's depressed and sad right now, and I don't have the ability to properly console him. All I have is the ability to feed, love and comfort him however I can.

We're all scared. Still, our love is strong. We're an extremely-tight family which constantly-grows within our collective strengths. I just enjoyed a 90-minute phone conversation with my darling daughter in Tucson. Her employer has cut her hours to four each workday, but promises to pay her for eight. She's a tough gal, having risen above personal challenges to succeed in a stressful and challenging world. I am so proud of her.

There is a glimmer of hope for humanity, despite our society's selfish need to deprive others of... toilet paper.

Do not panic. Please. Landlords: please extend a free month to your tenants. Banks: forgive a month's worth of loan payments. If we pull together as Americans have for nearly 245 years, we can emerge even stronger than before. It's within us to beat this unprepared-for calamity. We have the power many countries have long envied. No matter our current political beliefs, it's time for us to come together as one. If not, we'll surely die so, disappointing the souls of our Founders who had a great vision for a country the whole world has long-envied.

Dad always told me, "Have fun every day."
I always do, and I miss you, Papa.
Okay, I'm done for tonight. Maybe tomorrow I'll have less to say. It's possible I'm simply paranoid and my son has not been confirmed to have contracted the virus. If he has, Beloved and I will diligently nurse him back to health, no matter the risks to us. We have discussed health protocols and taken immediate steps to ensure our mutual good health. Still, our lives are devoted to those we created in great love and respect.

Pray for us, but mostly for those whom the media may not tell you about to delay mass hysteria. Each step of whatever way we're headed, I promise to continue writing. Once I stop, then you'll know I'm gonna check outta here.

Comments

  1. Praying for you and your Deke from downunder. Going to share this with all my workmates. Get well stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay healthy and safe all of you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment