My Note to Our GM


Deke's Note: I wrote this email in response to our General Manager's message sent out to all TriMet employees last Thursday, March 12. I sent this to Mr. Kelsey yesterday morning, but have not yet heard back from him. Sorry the last post was impossible to read from a mobile device, but evidently "copy and paste" renders such posts illegible. This time, I typed it out for you. Good ol' fashioned methods are often better.


Mr. Kelsey,

As a bus operator, I am truly concerned about our exposure to every bug that slithers through my door. Each bus I drive is thankfully outfitted with the barrier, but is this enough? Already we have seen one of our bus operators assaulted by a man spitting upon him; his assailant was later determined to be infected with staphylococcus. How long will it be before some demented individual who may be infected with Corona virus spits on one of us?

Your directive implying that once our leave is depleted we're "covered" by short-term disability is of no comfort. It is pitifully inadequate to cover the bills, paying pennies on the dollar we're normally paid.

Please find new ways to ensure we are compensated if found infected with full pay while we recover. Our constant exposure should afford us special consideration during this national health emergency. I will show up for work every day, no matter the risk. It's my job, and one I'm proud to hold. Your job holds little risk compared to mine, so I implore you to find solutions which safeguard our fiscal responsibilities.

That being said, I wish you and your loved ones safety and health as we all face this dilemma. I'm truly concerned for my family's health, as well as the thousands of people I serve daily as a bus operator. I keep several windows open even when temperatures are low. I wipe down my bus, taking special care to clean every possible surface our passengers may touch along their journeys.

I do everything I know to keep my passengers safe, be it through my smooth roll or fighting the germs we may collect upon our bodies. I'm praying you find extra strength through leadership to keep US safe as we do the hard work of Portland transit. Please find the funds which ensure that if we DO become infected with the Corona virus, that we are not penalized or thrown into financial hardship because of it. We're counting on you, sir.

Peace be with you.

Your humble bus operator,
Patrick

Comments