Don't Damage MY Equipment!

A few days after the bus stabbed me.

The first day of training we're told: "Don't damage the equipment." It's a cardinal sin in transit to do so. Even a scratch on these $500k machines is possible cause for a dismissal, a Preventable Accident at the very least. We are required to write a company report (sometimes a state report as well) about the slightest damage, and we're paid 45 minutes for our time. 

Our every move leading up to said scratch is scrutinized during the investigation. Often, a meeting with management is required to discuss how we might have prevented the incident. Discipline can range from a figurative slap on the wrist, but depending on the amount of damage, can lead to more serious consequences from suspension up to termination.

Damage to ourselves however, is handled much differently. In fact, it's required of us to complete a Report of Injury. On our own time, no compensation provided. 

For the second time, I suffered a deep slash/gouge on my left arm while driving a bus. One with a very sharp edge on the window pull. When my arm made contact with the bottom of this steel corner, it poked through several layers of me leprechaun tattoo's backside, scraping several layers of skin back. It bled heavily, this 5/8" tear into my hide, for about 25 minutes. It took several paper towels to stanch the flow, and there was no first aid kit on my bus. Luckily, I was able to contain the blood, keeping it from landing anywhere on the bus. That would have had expensive consequence to the transit district as it would have made the driver's area a biohazard site. Not sure why I gave a tinker's damn at that point, but changing buses can severely diminish our already-short breaks. Given the injury was relatively minor, my focus was stopping the blood. Luckily, the security staff at a nearby college were very helpful and provided antiseptic wipes, antibiotic cream and bandages. A few minutes of doctoring and I was ready to drive again.

I didn't want to report it, but I did anyway. It was frustrating that although many operators have suffered the same injury, many of the window pulls on the buses have not had their sharp edges filed down to prevent further cuts. One fellow operator showed me his left arm, scarred and marred with several similar injuries.

My attempt to submit an Incident Report along with the ROI was refused. "Not necessary" read the sticky note attached. Well excuse the piss outta me! Nor was there any concern shown. No notice from management acknowledging my wound. It was suggested that I file another report of a safety concern, but why would I do that... again? Evidently, the last time it happened they didn't take heed of my warning or it would not have happened... again!

It's very insulting to see the double-standard bullshit. Don't scratch/dent/rub or otherwise hurt a bus. But, if it hurts US, too damn bad.

Heroes, my ass. Evidently not as valuable "equipment."

Three weeks later, still healing.


Comments