Lucky SEVEN? NOT for Some.

Deke's Note: BANDTOGETHER2024. Most of you who read this now-sometimes blog already know what this means. It has been a long struggle to bring the dangers of our profession into the public awareness bubble. I hope this cuts you on the cheek so deep you'll wear a bandage all week. It sure hurts me.

BANDTOGETHER2017

It is likely the fear of this happening to yet another undeserving transit worker which fuels my devotion to BANDTOGETHER. Some of you may think it's a long-past trend. It's a fact transit agencies celebrate every worthy cause except ours. Then I get angry when YOU ignore a heartfelt call to arms in a silent protest meant to benefit US. This is not some cause cèlébre which fades quickly. Attacks against transit workers happen every day everywhere buses and trains roll. We roll people safely to their destinations while trying to insist passengers follow the most simple, basic rules. In return, we're spit on, screamed at, threatened, beaten, sexually assaulted, stabbed and shot. Sometimes, death happens. Yet, nobody seems to care.

AAAAUUUUUGGGHHHH, DAMNIT! 

I CARE! Don't YOU?!?

BANDTOGETHER2018
Sam Bryan, ATU757
Portland Oregon
 

Buses and light rail vehicles are plastered with ads insisting the public pay homage to the Monthly Reason to Be Infuriated or Inspired. I cannot be angry with them for "doing the right thing" by groups who have suffered and still do. However, I become dispirited by the fact transit completely ignores its own, those who make transit work. Violence against transit workers is an issue dealt with quietly. It's bad PR for any agency with declining ridership. Can't scare the riding public away. 

"JUST SHUT UP AND DRIVE, DEKE!" they insinuate with their bloody silence.

“DO SOMETHING, YOU INCOMPETENT WET WIPES!" I shout back.

Response times still lag. Just the past week an operator had to wait 40 minutes for support while dealing with a tense situation. Afterward, the operator wasn't properly advised they could take a few days off without timeloss to deal with the stress. Showing up for work the next day, said operator suffered an anxiety attack and found little to no support. This is management's way of "celebrating heroes".

As go the ads, so goes the public. As go the lack of info by transit agencies, so go the media and public opinion. As goes the status quo, so goes my anguish and determination. I do whatever I can to inform, even though the public has conditioned itself to ONLY read what AI pushes across their screens. Even then, if it's longer that three paragraphs, people blithely scroll past. If you're still reading, kudos.

Meanwhile, I still mourn the loss of transit workers who are attacked daily worldwide. Not a whisper or mention until one of us DIES. Then it's all love and sympathies for the deceased and promises of an "investigation" until the hubub is replaced by a school shooting or some political nonsense. Results seem to be swept under the rug, rarely published until relevant court documents surface.

Here are a few examples of violence against transit workers which still sting my eyes with hot tears, adding to my PTSD each time I think of them.

RIP Thomas Dunn
September 6, 1972 - May 18, 2019

* RIP Thomas Dunn, of Jacksonville, Florida. Driving his bus through Hillsboro, FL, this Air Force veteran, father and honored transit worker known to be outspoken in support of operator safety, was approached by a passenger who said "God Bless you." Operator Dunn responded with "Thank you! God Bless you too." Then, Dunn's murderer plunged a knife into his throat. The true example of a "hero", Dunn managed to safely pull his bus over and secure it before bleeding out. He died right in the seat. Afterward, his transit agency outfitted its buses with full barriers. It only took Operator Dunn's death to affect change.

29 Breauna White
RIP Breauna White
December 29, 1990 -  May 25, 2021

* RIP Portland Bus Operator Breauna White, who was shot to death at her home in 2021 by her boyfriend. She was not working at the time, but we all felt attacked by this senseless murder. I remember meeting Bre once, impressed with her smile and welcoming love. A proud mother, Bre worked two jobs supporting her child.

RIP Operator Bernard Gribbin
February 26, 1975 - October 26, 2023

* RIP Philadelphia Bus Operator Bernard Gribbin, 48, a US Army Veteran, was shot and killed while driving his bus in October, 2023. He was "very proud of himself for protecting his country, and for protecting the very person who took him away. I think that hurts even more," said his co-worker.


RIP Irvine Jubal Fraser

* RIP Irvine Jubal Fraser, 58, of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada was killed after a confrontation with a sleeping passenger Fraser was trying to expel from his bus at the end of his line in 2017. His murderer was convicted of stabbing Fraser six times, and was sentenced to life in prison. All because Operator Fraser refused to take the passenger back to the stop he had missed while sleeping.
\

* * * * *

BANDTOGETHER
co-founder and current
ATU757 Vice President
Attack Victim
Henry Beasley

I could give you more examples, but it'll just take a Google search for you to dig even deeper graves. Each research click made me more sad. What's worse, I doubt most of you who see this post will read deep enough to stir your emotions enough to join this week's BANDTOGETHER2024. Maybe it's just because you're scared it will happen to you. Again. Yeah, I get it. Me too.

My wife summed it up best when she told me, "I never thought when you took this job I'd be worried you might never come home to me." Each day I leave for work, we hug. At least 20 seconds. If I don't return, I hope this hug remains with her if I am unable to. When my granddaughter is here, I hug them both. Often, I drive off in tears, fearing that was the last time they'll see me. Our souls are so entwined, the survivor might also perish if something terrible happens.

Beloved is disabled, and I couldn't bear to leave her alone. I have been attacked, threatened, spit on, stalked, and insulted so many times I cannot bear to think about it. Like so many transit workers, I have severe PTSD because of my job. It takes intense self control to take the seat every day, knowing somebody could kill me right there. I only hope to have the same fortitude as Operator Dunn did, and safely stop my bus before paying the ultimate sacrifice to simply transporting my fellow citizens.

* * * * *


If I've held your attention this far, then please join me for this year's seventh annual BANDTOGETHER2024. Simply wear a bandage on your doorside cheek with the number of attacks on your local brothers and sisters so far this year, or the initials of any transit worker who has lost their life in service to our collective communities.

It's a small ask in light of what perils we face just doing our job. If you join this protest, please don't be silent when someone asks you why the bandage. A simple reply of "it's my way of remembering those who have been attacked, or died, doing what I'm doing now." Take a selfie of you, your bandage and your ride for the day. I'll post each of them.

Thank you, brothers and sisters. As long as I roll with you, and likely afterwards, I will always support you. Now support ALL of US and please join in BANDTOGETHER2024 this week, September 15-21. 

Peace be with you all, and all those who love you. Count me as one. Thank you for participating.

Deke N. Blue
Attack Victim #XXXXXXXXX
Your Biggest Fan





Comments