All You Need is L-O-V-E

Deke's Note: They're all asleep now. Beloved Stacers, John & Bill, Baby Mila Rose, her mama and papa. How am I still awake? Sheer willpower plus the fact I work the late shift. I'm always UP this time of night. The wee hours are when I write to YOU. It's my self-therapy. Today is uplifting to me and I wanted to share it with you. This post begins with a song which registered early for me on the radio, and rings true for all those within my loving arms. Although perhaps TMI, it's one I sing in the shower.

L - is for the way you look at me

O - is for the only one I see

V - is very, very extraordinary

E - is even more than anyone that you adore

(LOVE, sung by Nat King Cole, 1964)

* * * * *

Great timing, bros. I put in for these two days a month ago. I didn't know the weather would be so bad then, but predictably, Portland skewed the forecast by at least a smidge. Mis hermanos arrived at rush hour Friday when the weather was predicted to be horrendously blizzardy. But as usual, the weather dudes were off about 12 hours. Regardless, I left home early expecting the roads to be packed and likely impassable. Wrong on both counts. Traffic was light and there was zero precipitation. I glided into PDX early, without the slightest turbulence, to gather my two remaining brothers (we were once four, RIP Daniel).

It has been both a lively and also blissful reunion. We haven't seen each other since Dan's funeral. We spend time reliving our childhood stories and adventures. It's fascinating to me because my older brothers have a different perspective. They cringe when I remind them of things they would rather not recall, as I do when they turn the tables. It's still a wonderful moment to come together. Bill corrected my cloudy recollections of Mom's ancestry while John sat back and (as usual) just enjoyed himself telling stories. Each interacted with my granddaughter, as Great Uncles ought. One of mis hermanos will return with his family in March so his son can meet cousin Mila Rose. We eagerly await our nephew and his mama, with whom we have spent too little time with. They have scheduled a family visit in March.

Amo a mis hermanos, John and Bill
Moments like this are exceedingly short. We are contemplating the golden age of our lives, aware of how precious this weekend is. Time wisps past as quickly as this weekend's snowy winds. One of us has already gained his Heavenly reward, as have our parents, uncles and countless friends. Each of us is more acutely aware how vital it is to come together, as often as possible.

My message gleaned from our visit thus far is to enjoy all my loved ones. My brothers and I now laugh at our own embarrassing moments just as we sometimes teased our parents for their gaffes at our current ages. We laugh, sometimes tear up, when our collectively most difficult moments are recalled. It is still cathartic, bringing shared memories together while reinforcing this strange force of brotherly love. It is a bond we are lucky to still have, one I hope lingers for decades.

As you read this, hopefully you can relate. It's life, spelled out and starkly illustrated. However either of us may have sinned against each other, we forgave the other long ago. It's all meaningless detritus flowing past the bridge of time, billions of particles both sad and happy mingling together in a fast-moving journey to infinity. It is a bond harder to break than two hydrogens and one oxygen in a river rushing hellbent for eternity.

Yesterday we trudged through the icy wind and snow two blocks away to enjoy Happy Hour together. The 17-degree weather buoyed our hunger onward into a boisterous pub with great food and drink. After, we continued on foot another two blocks into a bar where we further warmed ourselves.

"It brought us close together, and I guess it broke our hearts. It opened up a space for us to be..." (thanks John Denver)

Munchies and booze at a local pub we walked to

* * * * *
My own health scares me today. While I constantly pray I not yet leave my beloveds behind, certain factors both hereditary and personal have me worried. We all wish for a long and healthy slide into the next dimension of life. However, I am faced with immediate lifestyle changes which may (or may not, given the line of work I'm in) extend this life further than my current medical future foretells.

There are many goals I have yet to accomplish, both personal and creative. I want to build a dollhouse for Mila Rose, preferably completing it long before the one I built for my daughter. There are three novels I began but have yet to complete, each of which I am excited to write their climax. While their publication might not excite the masses and bring financial success, it's the completion of each which I will cherish given a lifelong trait of procrastination.

Most of all, this aging bus operator simply wishes the best for my beloveds. I have two remaining brothers I love dearly, and the memories of a lifetime with Dan and our parents. Beloved and I have three accomplished children together and two incredible grandchildren whom we celebrate every moment. My nephews and their children are constantly ringing joy within my soul. They may not realize it today, but someday in the future each will be able to say with confidence: "/Papa/Grampy/Unca/Grunca Patrick loved and believed in me wholly". That is all that will matter when my earthly carcass becomes food for a tree in a (hopefully) distant place.

Peace be with you, dear readers. Celebrate your loved ones, and revel in the immediate happiness you share. Forgive and forget easily; you never know which moment together could be your last. Be safe and may peace and joy follow your every step forward.

With love,

DiB

Thanks Neighbor Pat, you ornery rascal,
for shoveling our way home.


Comments