My Focus, 10 Years In




Patrick's Note:
 I've had time to re-evaluate this writer's muse, during which I've found myself going through several iterations of my bus-driving self. We're considered "unskilled labor" in the world of "professionals". However, we're more so than those who "work from home", in that we show up. No matter the weather, political climate, presidential visit or any other urban "disaster". Just like the garbage dude, police officer, paramedic, nurse/doctor, fireman, electric utility worker, plumber. Ten years on any job leads a person to stop and realize what's most important. Today, my life consists of just rolling smooth, giving my fellow Portlanders a safe ride. This post deals with the daily rigors of our "unskilled" rolls, a job our management still fails to fully understand.

* * * * *

Just got my 10-year "pin". It's a mini drop of cheap metal with a miniscule ruby in the middle. No "10" anywhere on it. Kind of a letdown, really. As if 300,000 safe miles warrants nothing but a cheap trinket. To me, it's a much bigger deal. Over a decade, it means I have guided my 20-ton Beast safely through intersections rife with red-light running fools in their logo-enriched vanity machines, 700,000+ times.

Just avoiding 16+ hours of sick time over a year of safe operation gets you even more useful gadgets, as if driving sick is more valuable than safeguarding your fellow workers and passengers. Hey Management, there's a great reason I haven't made "Master" yet. It's because I value my health over ridiculous edicts regarding sick leave. It's more important to me that I take care of myself, and therefore that of my co-workers and passengers, than any empty kudos for sacrificing said health for some ridiculous transit ideal to "show up no matter what ails ya".

I'm not sorry if extending my life is more important to me than operating in a condition that puts ALL aboard in danger. My decade of safe driving is ultimately more important than some manager hailing my health sacrifices for some ridiculous ideal. If I die in service, it's worthless in their eyes. They'll just substitute another body in my seat. Therefore, whenever I feel that my body is ill, I will call in sick. Better than possibly infecting others, which costs the agency and public, much more money than my brief absence. Especially if I'm not 100% and accidentally roll over some inattentive dolt.

* * * * *

I'm a numbers guy. I like to count the miles of each run, every day. My bus lumbers along nearly 700 miles a week. I'm in awe of "Million Mile Club" operators, who have persevered over 30 years behind the wheel. They've endured and endless run of corporate dolts and still managed to keep their heads straight no matter what obstacles some "I know how to do it better" suit put in our way. Figure in the 5-10 times each day some idiot runs a red light or cuts us off only to brake suddenly and make a turn directly in front of our Beast, and you're looking at some possible 50,000 times a year you save a life, given the additional pedestrian, bicyclist or any other fool simply not paying attention, while we are.

Over 30 years and nearly a million miles, the veteran bus operator conceivably saves over a MILLION lives, just doing this job. You wanna talk "heroes"? It's not just upon that moment in time where the world finds itself in a pickle where the word "hero" pops up in description of anyone who does what most would not. In your life, you cross paths with real-world "heroes" without realizing it.

Pick any transit operator worldwide, then multiply by the hundred thousands of us on the road at any time. That's why the word "hero" rings hollow in our collective conscience. It's just what we do. We're focused, constantly in tune with our surroundings. That's why I insist people shut off the audio on their phones, so I can concentrate. Society seems okay with allowing a motoring malcontents to disobey the law. Do you think you're so focused on the road as we are? The odds are astronomically against your being so attuned to everyone else's safety. Not just you rolling down the road, but also those riding in our vehicle and anywhere within the vicinity of it. We're watching... even while you're obviously not.

Going to work today is so radically different than a decade ago. Expectations have shifted. The cell phone has rendered individuals simultaneously more informed yet less self-conscious. Look at people as they roam the streets. Millions solely focused on the dinky screen in their hands. Their safety was once their own responsibility. Now, social media has shifted self-awareness to a point where it's expected society at large is somehow responsible for your safety.

Even though you possess technology infinitely-more powerful than that which guided our astronauts to the moon and back, you fail to realize it has the power to alert you when that bus is about to arrive. And yes, folks, there are apps which track our vehicles' precise location, up to and prior our arrival at your stop. Upon our buses rolling up to where you're busily searching for the ridiculousness of today's imbecilic focus, you risk missing the ride you're waiting upon.

We're just operating the vehicle, opening and closing the doors and then rolling again. YOU want a ride? Be fucking ready, then. Fare-ready, belongings in hand. We're not gonna stop and lock to help you board. It's all on YOU, pax.

Transit hasn't changed much since technology changed your focus. OURS is, and always has been no matter our management's strangeness, safety. If you're there and prepared, welcome aboard. Once the doors close, we're ready to catch that green. We've done our jobs, having allowed passengers to leave and board. Now, we're ready to cruise. Your inattentiveness is not OUR fault. A brief break beckons at the end of the line, and if we're late there, those minutes come off the top of it. If you're too busy watching that tiny screen to pay attention, DO NOT call our transit agency to complain when we roll on and leave you behind. We did NOT pass you up; you missed the fucking bus because you failed to pay attention to your immediate surroundings. Perhaps you'll be ready for the next one, whether it's five or 45 minutes later. YOUR bad, not ours.

When will common sense catch up to the technological stupidity we have allowed society to fall into? Smart phones have rendered many clueless. At this rate, we're doomed to laws which protect one's inattentiveness in favor of someone else not predicting another's inability to take self-preserving precautions which were once a given. 

Put the phone down and LOOK when you're out there, folks. Or, if you'e at an unlit stop in the middle of a dark road, light up your phone and wave it when you see us approach... not after we've passed the logical  threshold for seeing you. NO, it's NOT OUR responsibility to overcome your inattentiveness. YOU are ultimately responsible for looking out for yourself. While a professional bus or rail operator is constantly watching out for your irresponsibility, it is not our fault when you're (God forbid, or any other entity you worship) not paying attention to your immediate environment. 

Don't flip us off when you hear our horn of warning... it's our way of saying "Look out DUMBASS!" If you're so self-absorbed you can't understand that, it's YOU who needs to take a chill pill, not US.

Duh.

Every day I take the seat, I pray my mantra to keep everyone safe, and to see all who responsibly await my arrival. For 10 years now, this has been my constant focus. So far, I've thankfully been alert to save, and see the darkest shadows of you, thousands of times. 

You're welcome.


Comments

Post a Comment