Merry Christmas 2020


Bus operators see the devastation of this pandemic. Every shift is a "reality show" that we'd rather not watch. Good people have lost jobs. Wages that are barely enough to sustain even the poorest accommodations have vanished. Those who once labored with honor for the pennies thrown their way now rummage through waste barrels in search of a $0.10 can or bottle to add to their bag of wishes.

I am thankful for many things, least of which is a decent job I have had throughout this horrid and diseased year. Despite it all, my life has actually improved. It's something I am very grateful for. However, it leaves me feeling guilty. As I drive a bus, I serve many whose lives are nowhere as comfortable as mine.

So this Christmas, instead of a post full of complaints toward those who manage my job, I offer thanks for what I have. I'm also most thankful for not only a family who loves and accepts this less-than-perfect-by-miles old cranky bastard, but also for those with whom I share this occupation, and those I serve.

I'm thankful for my fellow operators who likely roll much tougher routes than I do. I appreciate my Road Supervisors, Dispatchers, Service Workers/Cleaners, Station Agents and Maintenance/Mechanics. We are a team, one that sees little true appreciation for all it takes to transport a quietly-appreciative public through all kinds of trauma. Even though I disagree with a great deal management/leadership does, I feel for them too, for they at least say they appreciate what we do "out there". It's not entirely their fault they don't fully understand what we do; many have never done it themselves. Perhaps they do feel sympathetic even though it seems improbable they feel empathy toward us. 

This is Christmas Day, I extend my heartfelt love to the homeless, whose numbers have risen exponentially. I pray you find a way to rise above whatever challenges confront you. To those just barely surviving, may your efforts sustain you in the worst of times and reward you afterward. If you are doing okay right now, my heart is with you because like you, I'm one paycheck away from a tent.

Yes, I have much to be grateful for today. Mostly, for a wife with whom I have shared nearly half my life with, and still marvel in her wisdom and beauty. Also for children who love me more than I deserve. I'm eternally grateful for those who created me, and miss their presence every day. To those with whom I share this profession, I honor and respect each.

It has been a horribly-rough year, but there have been bright stars shining throughout. We all need to  keep an eye out for them. Hold each tender moment dear, and fear not the future; it could likely be the best time of our lives. Hope is a worthy aspiration, and my heartiest goal.

Merry Christmas folks. And may peace reign forever with you and yours.


Respectfully,

Deke N. Blue

Comments

Post a Comment