We Autumn Leaves


Although we all suffer from pandemic exhaustion, I am thankful for many things. Mostly people. My family for starters, but also friends and fellow transit workers across the globe. YOU are the wires which hold me up whenever "it" seems too heavy a burden. There have been times when one of them has broken, or frayed, but whenever this happens, another pops out of nowhere and refuses to let me drop.

I am thankful for this beautiful home we now occupy. Millions sleep in tents or worse, with nowhere to wash their hands or even use a toilet. Although I have worked hard all my life and was even homeless myself for a short time long ago, whenever I feel low it is this reality which boosts me back again. We can all list precisely our failures. It is okay to celebrate the victories without need to feel guilt at having attained them. Some revel in their bank balances to gauge success, others some accolade attained through diligence and competence. My success is to have met thousands of people who constantly teach me patience, respect and honor.

As I approach Thanksgiving and Christmas, I am simply thankful to be alive. It's likely all who read this can agree, given the complexities, anguish and fear this year has spawned. Although I have harpooned our management for its many misgivings, I still have a great job which I'm fairly competent in doing. My writing is read by more people than I could have ever hoped... even management. There are wonderful people in this city who remind me on occasion that my efforts, even "bravery" as a few have put it, make a difference. In their lives. And that, most truly, makes up for the countless slights, threats, indignities and indecent acts thrust upon me the past year.


Whenever I think times are tough, I am reminded around many a curve that many others have it much worse. This pandemic has spared no group. Its vicious efficiency as a murderer is not to be taken lightly. It is without a doubt the most dangerous threat of our age. Yet humans have proven countless times to be vigorously successful defenders of our species.

Americans must unite, as in times past, in order to rid ourselves of this pandemic. Plague. "Rona" or whatever you want to call it, is ruthless. We must be more so. In our 244 years we have gained independence from a powerful monarchy, survived a horrific Civil War and countless others. Two of these wars have been worldwide struggles which we, along with our allies, won. As these battles raged, those at home pulled together to lend support to the cause. Today, we are regarded by many as weak, petty and foolish for not being able to collectively do the right thing. It is not a political virus, it is biological and will attack humans no matter our "beliefs" or assertions of individual "freedoms". With freedom comes responsibility. In order to lead, we must first set an example. We cannot expect respect solely due to past triumphs. Respect, like victory, must be constantly earned.

Once again, I'm left with the phrase "divide and conquer". Long a vital tool of the powerful, it has been devastatingly efficient. Give a massive number of individuals the seed of doubt and it grows into an untamed swamp which seemingly has no end. Replace that invasive plant with a series of those toxic to it, and the good eventually overcome the bad no matter how invasive.

We need to find the right seed, and see that it is planted within each of us. Even though individuality is as human as compassion, we are like leaves on a tree. Although separate, we are part of a branch which connects to another and ultimately to the trunk. We may be unique, but we also share what all the other leaves do: a community of one larger being. If one leaf becomes infected, the entire tree may die. In autumn, leaves turn color and fall back into the earth, fertilizing the tree and ensuring it lives longer so other leaves may also bask in the sunshine of spring and summer.

It is my wish that you all come together, learn to ensure the health of others while preserving your own. With any luck, our next spring will dawn brighter than that of 2020. 

Happy Thanksgiving, and many more to you and yours.


With love and respect, 

Deke

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! We will get through this, one way or another. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment