I Salute Rail Ops Everywhere!

FromTheDriverSide is meant for ALL transit operators,
not just us bus jockeys. Praise, love and respect
for our brothers and sisters at rail.

Deke's Note: What is this ill-conceived disconnect between rail and bus operators? In order to become a rail operator, you need to be a bus operator. Do rail ops forget where they began, and then form a superior attitude? Not from what I've heard on a grand scale. It need not be so, if it is true. We're all here to do one job: to safely transport those who ride our vehicles. Period. This post is dedicated to my fellows who brave the rails.

Whenever I see a rail op, be they light rail or streetcar, I always wave at them. I respect their additional training and years of service at the controls of their vehicle. You are someone who has endured what I choose not to endure, yet strived even harder to become what you are: rail operators. Your job entails even more safety protocols and concerns than mine, and my wave to you is a sign of respect. It's a nod to that age-old admonishment all rail operators face: "It's not if you kill someone, but when."

I do not possess the inner strength to even consider that horrid hypothetical, let alone continue operating a bus with it hanging over my soul. My hat, if it weren't settled into my dash cradling the water bottle which keeps me hydrated, would be tipped to you all. Your job entails even more diligence than mine, even though I constantly deal with motorists who refuse to adhere to the most basic safety laws of the road.

Many of my classmates went to rail, including Jeff, Mustafa, Tre, Abdi and Kevin. They have asked me why I won't follow their career footsteps. Honestly, I'm nowhere near as brave as they are. Having driven (illegally for half-a-decade of that) for almost 50 years now, with a wheel and brakes at my command, I could not fathom the exponentially-horrendous responsibility rail ops assume when they take controls of a light rail vehicle. It boggles my mind when I see cars turning, people dashing, or any other human obstacles taking chances in front of a LRT which vastly-outweighs my humble six-wheeled bus. I have the greatest respect for rail operators, because I know they have only their wits to save people from self-perpetuated tragedy.

In my tenure as a blogger, I apologize for not doing a ride-along with my brothers and sisters who so bravely roll the rails. It would surely open my eyes to the dangers they constantly avoid. Whenever a tragedy occurs with a light rail vehicle, the operator is the first to be accused. That's grossly unfair, considering the numerous near-misses I see my talented brothers and sisters avoid on a daily basis. Once their professionalism ultimately exonerates them, it is not reported in the media. All you hear about is how an operator "injured" or even worse, "killed" someone. No mention is made of the victim's fault in their demise, yet the onus is always placed on the operator. Shame on our transit agency and the local media for not publicly exonerating the innocent and horribly-affected operator for doing all possible to avoid the disaster.

A large vehicle, whether it be a bus or a train, is difficult to predict the speed of. It's documented fact that the average motorist is unable to accurately determine the speed of an oncoming train, bus, or tractor-trailer rig. A car's speed is easier to predict, even though motorists who drive them are likely distracted to the point of not paying close enough attention to acknowledge the traffic light ahead is about to change to yellow, then red. Imagine being a rail op, who likely approaches any intersection with trained trepidation, who encounters someone who ignores the signals placed for their protection. Any collision with a vehicle pushing 100 tons is impending disaster, likely life-threatening. If a collision happens, the onus is automatically placed upon the rail operator. That operator has passengers aboard, who he/she is concerned with impacting if they initiate an emergency stop at 40mph or more. They are highly-trained, and extremely-aware of the circumstances resulting from contact with their vehicles.

Now consider the human impact of an operator whose light rail vehicle impacts an irresponsible motorist. All the media reports is "Light Rail Train Kills Motorist". The article will likely put the blame on the operator, even though facts exonerate the operator. It takes a lot of skill, folks, to stop a multi-ton vehicle in time to avoid impacting a law-breaking, impatient motorist without the slightest inclination their actions put themselves in danger. The operator must go forward with the realization that their impact resulted in the loss of life or involved serious injury. It's 9.9/10 times not their fault, yet the public perceives it so. Grossly unfair, given the professionalism of every light rail operator who bravely endures such deadly encounters.

When the operator is exonerated from any wrongdoing, the media is silent. Usually, a lawsuit against our transit agency, sometimes including the operator, is filed in municipal court. Each facet of the operator's career is closely-scrutinized. Any perceived "fault" is brought to light, even when the operator did everything they're trained to do. The public's perception is that our rail brothers and sisters "need more training" or "failed to sound the high-horn too late". It's disgusting, but today's society is loathe to accept its own fault when tragedy occurs. It's easier to blame a public employee with years of training and experience, as if that means nothing. That's what personal liability attorneys are for: to sue someone when your own lack of responsibility fails to protect you from your faults.


Writing this blog has brought me closer to not only my fellow bus operators, but many rail ops as well. From all over the world. You see, a rail operator cannot usually become one unless they've done my job driving a bus. This gives them a basic understanding of transit. It prepares them to accept anything that presents immediate danger. Once they apply to become a rail operator they undergo further, more intense, rail training. Again, they endure months of probation while they learn the rules of rail, over and above their previously-strenuous bus training. They're "newbies" all over again, and struggle to rise up the ranks of seniority they have already endured as bus operators. It's not easy, and it's not for everyone. Many drop out voluntarily, choosing again to take their chances behind the wheel of a bus.

Yes, I have great respect and admiration for my brothers and sisters at rail. Having spoken at length to many rail operators, I have learned the pratfalls they face and this gives me an even greater respect for what they do. So when you rail ops see me driving a bus as
y  we cross paths, not only will you see my wave of respect and brotherhood, but you'll note my strict adherence to policies regarding our passing. I truly respect you, and I hope you remember what it's like to be me.

I have seen hundreds of interactions between rail operators and the ignorant public, where many lives have been saved due to the diligent safety protocols employed by my rail brothers and sisters. There have been several times where I've seen a rail operator masterfully miss killing some cellphone-entranced dolt, a confused or illiterate motorist, or an errant bicyclist. Each time, I have enthusiastically waved, honked at and enthusiastically-saluted your professionalism. My hat is truly off to you wonderful people whom I proud to call my brothers and sisters.

So yeah, rail ops, I write this blog for YOU as well. Just ask any rail op who reads this blog. You might note that my words are true for all of us. Not just bus, rail, mechanics or supes. We're all a vital cog in the wheel of transit, MUCH more than the management which rides roughshod upon us without logical reason. My wave, smile, and nod is that of ultimate respect when I cross paths with you. So are my words here. Please know that even though our jobs may differ, I feel great love and respect for you all. Hopefully from here onward, this post nails that for you.

I have seen the devastation which results from any operator being assaulted. Whichever division it strikes is a hit we all endure, one we all feel. Rail ops and supes are equally as vulnerable as I am. I have been assaulted and know the pain associated with it. It is time we recognize our collective vulnerability and stop feeling so apart from one another. Wave back, willya?

Peace, love and safety to my brothers and sisters who brave the rails I choose not to. Thanks for doing what you do, and for being the ultimate professionals you are.

With great respect, I am yours as well...
Deke N. Blue




Comments

  1. As a heavy rail locomotive engineer I too salute the rail operators. In 25 years of running freight, some passenger trains I have hit 6 cars, killed 2. The thought of working around so many people who tend towards the chaotic is taunting to me. BN. KJRY, PNWR retired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deke, thank you so much! Eloquently said and deeply from your heart.
    -Lita Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at almost 24 years on the railroad, with 21 of those years in the engineer's seat operating freight trains. Whether a light rail, subway, or passenger or freight railroad engineer, when involved in any accident or fatality, it is a pain felt by us all. I've had two fatals in my time (both within my first 5 years in the seat) and one near miss that I was permitted the 3 days off for. With people so much more distracted these days, I just pray I can make it through my remaining 11 and a half years without somebody using my locomotive as the instrument of their ending.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment