Day Two: Back at Work

Many long for the time we can once again
see life from outside our windows.

It was "early" in the Coronavirus timetable that my son self-isolated while my wife and I self-quarantined. Now two weeks ago, I remember how worried I became as the days whizzed by and my return to work date grew closer. Glad we weren't showing signs of the bug like my son initially reported.

We were safe as could be, cleaning up the home, taking care to scrub our hands 20-30 seconds several times a day, sanitizing the kitchen after every use. Sure, there's always something you can miss, but fretting about things increases your risk as the stress takes over. We did what we thought was right, and that had to be enough. Sam told me that upon his return from a workday, he immediately stripped (ooh baby!), threw his clothes into the wash and took a hot shower. Not only did that sound relaxing, but it's a good idea. We don't know how long that lil' Covid-19 bastard hangs on to our clothing or skin. It may help, and any cleansing after a day in a filthy seat is worth a shot.

As my "safety zone" grew to its end, of course I was glad to remain un-symptomatic. However, my stress level began climbing into the stratosphere as my return to the perils of transit drew ever near. Social media tends to over-emphasize the worst of any situation, and I had to distance myself from it as much as possible. An Admin of a local operator FBook group, I felt guilty after a month ago resigning from the position. It had positive effects for good reasons, but it put the onus on those I left behind. Watching our Founder scramble to restore order where I had failed, I also found new admiration for those souls I left to do the work I left behind.

Only on Christmas have I ever seen a mall parking lot so deserted.
There is a lot of misinformation, falsehoods and politically-misleading bullshit out there right now. It's hard to tell what's true. Are nSAID drugs like Ibuprofen and Aspirin really putting people at risk if they are infected with the virus? Will perhaps millions of Americans die from this pandemic, or is it "just another misinformation campaign" designed to further separate the voting public? I doubt the latter and fear the former. I rely on science rather than opinion when seeking the truth, and my age and health concerns place me smack dab in the middle of those most at-risk.

Politicians from any party are often pushing agendas. However torn apart we are politically though, I have a very hard time believing either side would purposely allow our economy be torn apart and millions of lives be lost for political gain. Color me naïve if you wish, but we haven't come this far to be annihilated by a microscopic assassin. People tend to believe whatever their political agendas implore them to. If someone writes truth to any subject, they can expect to be torn apart by those who disagree with their political stance. This is wrong and needs to change. Truth is truth, no matter which angle is assailed by its insistence. There really is no such thing as "fake news"; we are simply bombarded by false information which serves to further drive us apart.

Gaining the seat again, I found the stress, fear and anxiety wash away as the Beast began to move at my command. It felt natural, soothing. Unlike hiding at home, I felt some control return to my life. The wheels' hum and the bus farts were calming. I was in control of myself again, behind the wheel which provides the bacon my family feasts upon. Without a phone in my hands or the imprisonment of a computer screen, I was once again comforted by the breathtaking sights of the city I love to serve.

It was another beautiful early-spring day in Portland. Showery at times with hail stones mixed in. Sunny skies quickly replaced by threateningly-black cloud banks. With traffic mostly vanished, the air was fresh, clean... devoid of the fossil fuel fumes of the impatient multitudes. I could actually smell the flowers blooming in all directions. That nasty haze that often pushes down upon us was gone. Rainbows sprouted all over, and I actually drove through the end of one, something I've never before experienced.

I opened all the windows on the bus and snarled at anyone who dared close one.

"But it's cold!" one rider complained.

"Not as cold as it would be if you were walking," I reminded him, frowning. "Please remember, most people ride a bus an average of 20 minutes. I'm on here for 11 hours. It's for your protection and mine." That shut him up.

It was eerie today, driving through largely-deserted streets at rush hour. Instead of 30-40 passengers, the most I ever had was 12. I felt guilty that for the past two days my "Thought for the Day" has disappeared. Given our precarious situation across the globe, I haven't felt the ability to be inspirational. However, people were kind, thanking me more than usual. Even other motorists gave my lumbering bus the space to merge back into traffic. I guess they're no longer in a hurry to get to their own funeral.

I hope this pandemic brings us back together. It's nice to hear people talking again, encouraging one another and wishing well upon those they might normally ignore. It will likely become quieter. People will grow ill and disappear for a while. I know you join me in praying that most recover, but mostly that we learn from this tragic tear in our history. May we learn how to better prepare for something even worse.

This scenario must never happen again. We want our grandchildren to flourish together, not blame one another for what our arrogant complacency and failure to compromise ultimately produced.

Although I could not find it within me to share a quote from a noteworthy inspirational historic figure, one from within beckoned.

As I told my passengers today, the same I wish for you all: "May you all be blessed with good health and safe passage through this perilous moment in our time."

Main Street in Oregon City: deserted
the first time I've seen.





Comments

  1. Thanks, I've been blessed to hunker down with a car person so, after 666 days in a row riding TriMet, I haven't been on since the last snow day/πDay

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment