Deke Rolls into Another Monday


Once again, it was a banner first-week of a signup. I have driven the 33 many times before, but it was my first time on this particular schedule. Instead of being a nervous few days, it has become an opportunity to welcome new faces to my overhauled transit operator personality. I didn't know how they would respond, and it didn't matter. I am Deke, and they're stuck with me the next 10 weeks.

Wow! They applauded my very first "Thought of the Day" and we had a great time discussing what it meant to us all.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -- Henry Ford

We all forge our own success, or lack of it. And what is success? That answer is only found within yourself. What is it that you hope to achieve? One moment at a time, a day, a week? Sometimes, this is success enough, given the crazy world we live in. Still, others tend to dream beyond the limits of  imagination. When that happens, many tend to listen to the voices of dissent rather than the loudest yearnings within their souls screaming to be heard above the acrimonious din. Once we refuse to hear those inner voices, then we are defeated.

People are fascinating creatures. Each of us has some innate talent begging to be shared. Some of us know from the beginning what it is or could be; others search for years even though the answer has always been there, lurking inside their souls. It takes great concentration to listen to our inner selves. We're bombarded with millions of voices, uplifting or negative. Those who succeed listened within from the start, and diligently pursued that magic. With passion. To fail is simply one lesson along the many paths necessary to find that road to success.

The route itself was easily-remembered after thousands of previous rolls. The new paddle was one mastered after two days. It was the people I wanted to become acquainted with. Working stiffs, jailbirds and junkies, dumb asses and drunkards. No matter the run, the mix is only different faces. Each of them has some redeeming quality waiting to be drawn out by this "operator on a mission".

Make 'em laugh, I say, and most will appreciate your efforts. A dime short? Ha! I've been there so many times it's no never-mind to me. No fare at all? As long as you're willing to pony up a few hundred bucks in fines when a Fare Inspector busts your ass, sure you can ride. Behave yourself though, or the next stop is yours whatever your destination. I don't fuck around: this is MY ride even though my employer OWNS the vehicle's title; they are only an extension of my tax dollars. My years of dedication to perfecting my driving skills along with a practiced welcome affords me the simplest of respect. Defile me or my ride, and you're walking. Period.

A part of me remains a hardass. I have to be. If you cannot behave, then my focus is interrupted. When this happens, I cannot safely operate my 20-ton MegaBeast. That is my sole responsibility. Your addled ideas on transit reality is not something I care about. Respect the ride, or find another mode of transportation. Luckily, my new personality makes this a rare scene.

It was a good first week. By Friday night however, I was very tired. Realizing I would only have six hours of sleep before making my way downtown to relieve my Saturday 35, it was imperative I concentrate on driving. My "Thought of the Day" was lost within the need to remain focused. The passengers were weirdly-reactive to the coming Full Moon, and every bus operator knows this monthly occasion requires sociological finesse. I didn't feel enough love from my "audience" to share more than a few times. That's okay. My heartfelt attempts to connect had already won over the toughest passengers.

My weekend is over. Tomorrow begins another 56-hour week behind the wheel. It's time to steel myself to this reality. Last night, I delivered a severely-edited version of a passionate speech at our ATU 757 rally at Pioneer Courthouse Square.

I don't know how well it was received due to my clunky delivery. It was delivered with great passion pouring out in an angry tirade directed toward management. Take my several posts bashing the inept minds running this agency and add a few hundred points of vocal intensity, and that's what came out. I'm not a great public speaker, but I felt a debt to my fellow union members necessitated a Deke Moment of Fire and Pissed-Offishness.

Yeah. Here I go again. Thanks, as always, for reading. Peace, and safe travels to you all.

With love, I am YOUR
Deke N. Blue

Comments