Van Gogh Quote Scores Big



Deke's Note: The first day of Week Two: Inspirational Quotes started with a bang, ended with a thud. Still, my passengers have recently seen a part of me I should have been sharing this whole time.

When I relieve the AM driver of my run there are usually only a handful of people onboard. It's early afternoon, just before the rush picks up. As I began to drive my Monday shift, I glanced into the mirror to see the usual crowd, folks who ride every day and a few others. One was a man about a decade or more older than me. He uses a walker to get around, and I have enjoyed serving him on  occasion.

Last week, I waited until the outbound trip to read my quotes. This week however, I felt that maybe these passengers were being cheated. People have enjoyed this new feature, even though the initial reaction is silence. That's one reason I began doing this... the bus is soooo eerily quiet these days.

Today, I just shrugged and read the quote after a short preamble in which I implored my pax to not listen when others try to discourage them.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." 
-- Vincent Van Gogh

Usually, I'll hear a "thank you" or two, but not this time. I thought it had bombed or perhaps not been heard. People have become even more "plugged in and tuned out". Still, many prefer not to enter into conversations from their seats. If they're going to engage me they will start to go out the back door, stop as if something is bugging them, then saunter up to the front door.

Today's lone commenter wheeled his walker up to me and stopped. I was early, the light was freshly-red, and he was poised with a faint smile. His words floored me.

"You know," he began, "upon hearing that Van Gogh quote, I was immediately reminded of the poem, Flanders Field." Given my route's final stop is actually on Flanders Street, I thought maybe a joke was at hand. This however, was not to be his motive of delivery.

Looking skyward and to his left, he began to recite the poem from memory. Sadly to say, even though I should have, I am embarrassed I have not heard it before today.

"In Flanders Fields
the poppies blow
Between the crosses,
row on row
That mark our place
and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below
We are the dead, short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow
Loved, and were loved
and now we lie
In Flanders fields
In Flanders fields
And now we lie
In Flanders fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, 
Though poppies grow
In Flanders fields
In Flanders fields"

He thanked me twice as he exited. I was loathe to allow his leave without finding the right words to show my appreciation. "No, thank you!" was all I could muster. "That was incredible!" Before my brain could further spark its speech center, he was gone.

This magical interaction evoked my inner smile the rest of the day. No matter there weren't many responses the rest of my shift, even though I recited the quote several times more. That gentleman's eloquence, his smile and his delivery were a gift magically engraved into my soul.

Yeah Tommy Transit, I think you're onto something here. Thought for the Day, Quote of the Day, whatever. Find something inspirational and LIFT up your passengers. Their days are often filled with very tough moments, so why should their last contact with humanity be a negative one via a grumpy bus driver?

Thanks to one wonderful man reciting a memorable poem written in 1915 by Canadian WWI soldier, Lieutenant-Colonel Dr. John McCrae, a poem that is celebrated by veterans worldwide, my day was golden.

Comments

  1. From time to time I am reminded that even though Canadians and Americans are so similar in so many ways, there are fundamental differences in our two nations.
    Your comment that this was the first time you had heard, "In Flanders Fields", is one of those times.
    The poem is indelibly part of the Canadian psyche. No one who has taken part in Remembrance Day (not Veterans Day) services can forget these lines. They are both tragic and uplifting, mournful and inspirational. They reveal the shock and horror of the Canadian experience of the Great War, (65000 dead, 150000 wounded) representing 0.85% of the total population.
    Today, Remembrance Day is one of sadness, loss, and a funeral atmosphere prevails. There are no messages on TV from car dealers advertising Remembrance Day special sales.
    Strangely, Remembrance Day is not a statutory holiday across Canada. Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and the Northwest Territories do not include it as a holiday for their residents.
    Thank you for your blogs. They make the job seem less onerous than it is. I'm glad to see you have taken off the mask and let us see Deke as he really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further to the above,

    John McCrae did not survive the war. He died Jan 28, 1918 of pneumonia. Some accounts list over work as a contributing factor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment