Management Reached Out to Me!


Deke's Note: Surprises come in many forms. One recent such gem came in the form of an explosive upsurge in blog hits. Sadly, it seems some rascal is employing a "bot" to increase my hopes of rising readership. With such numbers, logic dictates there would be a commensurate rise in reader comments, which has not happened. My pessimism regarding this blog's inherent value refuses to allow me to congratulate myself on any such anomaly. The second gem is a series of emails from a member of management who has reached out to me via email. This person, who I will not name out of mutual respect, went so far as to label me a "celebrity" (I don’t think so!), and is an owner of two copies of "JUST DRIVE - Life in the Bus Lane." If I hadn't laughed at this massive exaggeration of my status as a writer, my insistence upon remaining humble would have made it impossible to live with myself. However, it was still nice. Here's my reply.

Dear Reader,

It's an honor that you consider our interaction that which reminds you of "reaching out to a celebrity," yet I'm anything but. I've written my entire life, but the blog and book are more a habit than an endeavor worthy of such lofty aims. Still, thank you. It does mean a lot to me that you wrote it.

As for the automation, it was reportedly insinuated by management during the first contract negotiation session that our agency would be moving in that direction. I don't know who said it; I was not there. However, it seems odd to move that way, especially if an operator is still in the seat. Machines cannot think as humans. There is little ambiguity, no visceral feeling, in a robot. Why go to the cost of implementing human obsolescence? If we automate, humans lose jobs. If we can't work at something, especially at a job so inherently human, we lose self-worth. If we don't earn a living, what happens to the economy? The very thought of it boggles the mind of someone who has worked blue-collar jobs for a lifetime. Given the astronomically-rising cost of higher education, it's unrealistic to think most could rise toward new careers. In fact, it's not a reachable goal for many working class people. I'm still paying on a decade-old student loan series which did me no good. If we automate too much, at what devastating cost to humankind is "achieved"?

A little background on my soul: writing is not what I do. It is what I am. Since I was a wee lad, the art of putting words together has intrigued me. At times, I'm able to touch the personal depths of readers. Other times my words are excessive and boorish. I tend to explore the depths of human existence to the limits of my knowledge. Occasionally I strike a chord, and that's golden. Sometimes, I stray beyond excess because I'm a volatile personality. Love means much to my soul, and I even express it  toward those with whom I vehemently disagree. Afterward, my olive branches are hopefully accepted. One of my favorite personal sayings is: "I'm not always right, and you're not always wrong." Learning from others has been a lifetime goal, and has proven to be infinitely worthwhile.

Even though I blast management, it's obvious there are those among you who want the best for us. However, many promises have been broken and we feel horribly disrespected. Morale is horrible among union workers. Did you know that because our contract is expiring, the increase in healthcare costs has been passed down to us? My rates have doubled for 2020, which negates the last raise we received. As a single-income household, I still cannot afford to buy a home, yet I work 50+ hours a week in a truly unforgiving operator's seat. My body has taken a beating over the years. Many people who have sacrificed their bodies to transit die shortly after retirement. This is not a positive or healthy goal. Some of our brothers and sisters pass away as active operators. It makes us wonder: am I next?

Another troubling thought is the number of attacks on transit workers. Did you hear about BANDTOGETHER this year? We wore bandages on our door-side cheeks with the number of attacks on our local transit workers for the year. We did it to inform the public of this ever-increasing trend of violence toward those simply doing a vital job to any local economy. If you're on an airliner, would you challenge the authority of the pilot? Or a captain of a ship? Conductor of a train? Of course not. As operators, people do not respect us even as we guide them through constant dangers and provide them a safe ride to their destination. I've been assaulted, spit at, cursed, threatened... all because I insisted passengers abide by transit code. 

Many Operators, Supes, Trainers and Station Agents support my blog and also for my stubborn insistence on writing a commonly-understood thread among us: we do an honorable job, and feel disrespected by those entrusted with management of our transit system. I believe management should be entirely supportive of the "lug nuts" of transit. This should be its most vital mission, rather than its focus on capital projects to expand on a system groaning with neglect.

Our brother Thomas Dunn of Florida implored his local board to make his job safer; less than a year later, his throat was cut by a passenger. To Mr. Dunn's credit, he was able to stop and secure his bus, keeping his passengers safe, just before he bled out and died in the seat.

While I'm honored by your words, I'm still wary. We hear the words of "support" from upper management, but cannot believe it's an honest expression. Given we're a 24-hour per day, 365-days per year service to the community, this "Transit Worker Appreciation Day" (or whatever it's called) once a year in March fails to make us feel appreciated. If you work past the "normal" working day of non-union employees, you're treated to wilted leftovers and remnants of signs, perhaps some lame local news segment showing management hopping on day buses to give a false narrative of how management "appreciates" us. When contract negotiations begin, we're starkly-reminded that we're considered "greedy" nuisances rather than valued and vital reasons for the very existence of those charged with overseeing the day-to-day operations of local transit.

The fact you reached out to me is a beacon of hope in our dark reality. Perhaps management and our union can finally come together to provide a safe and happier work environment. I'm always optimistic, but also warily pessimistic. Given the past decade, hope is replaced by an overwhelming sense of despair. 

Thank you for reading. Perhaps someday we'll meet. You may not realize it when you ride, nor may I. Either way, I hope you feel safe and appreciated on my bus, and that the feeling is mutual.

Peace be with you,
db

Comments

  1. At least there are SOME in management that know things are just not right out there, or at least showing honest concern and empathy. Hopefully, it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This person surprised me with a sense of hope. Looking forward to a reply.

      Delete

Post a Comment