The Perks of Riding

Brett Harrison, transit fan and warrior
for the cause of operator safety.


Deke's Note: I have been blessed by the masses, and I thank each of you every day. A few however, stand out and shine a bit brighter for having graced this web address with your written "take" on transit. One major reason I enjoy my job is it grants me the opportunity to meet some really cool folks. I've made so many friends with fellow operators, but also passengers and readers. Our invited writer today is a very special person, known and loved by many in Portland transit.

This Guest Post was written by a senior in high school. He's a "transit fan," as he puts it. As I know him, he's a decent and kind soul who is wise beyond his years. Brett busted me as "Deke" about the same time our other transit buddy "Double A" did, but he has graciously kept my thinly-veiled secret. I've known him since he was a wee lad of about 10 who rode my bus with his father. He knows more about the buses, our system and routes than most of us who do the work of transit. Often, he sends me a text of concern if I'm off-schedule. It's only because he truly cares, and that is sincerely touching. Last month, he joined our March on City Hall in support of HB 2677, and earned even more respect from all of us.

His first draft truly impressed me. Rarely do we encounter young people who possess the artist's soul. As I read his post, I was truly floored. Because I see such great potential in him as a writer, I wielded a fierce red pen in the editing phase. He didn't flinch, and took every stab with a doctor's measured and steady hand. As if I wasn't already impressed, this fact elevated him even higher in my esteem and respect.

Rather than go on and on, I'll simply finish by saying he's a wonderful, generously-giving soul who is very dear to me and many of my fellow operators and supervisors. Thanks buddy... this assignment gets an 'A'. Now go do your homework.


The Perks of Riding

by Brett Harrison

I rode my first bus at just the age of three.

Photo by Brett Harrison
Dad and I rode Route 34 which rolled down my home street, connecting to other routes. We eventually arrived at the zoo, where I was scared looking at the animals. Since that first day, I have never turned away from a bus, and I quickly came to love riding transit. I choose to be a transit fan because I have the opportunity to help others anytime of the day while meeting new people. 

Transit fans are your typical riders but we ride for pure enjoyment. We don’t always commute to work or commute to run errands. We look just like everyone else on a normal day of our lives, but typically know a little more about the buses we ride.

As early as I can remember, Dad would take me every weekend and park in downtown Milwaukie in order to catch a bus. We cruised around the city from dawn to dusk, until we got tired. We always capped the day with a mint chocolate chip cone at my favorite ice cream parlor. It was a typical outing for us to explore the city and find sights I had yet to see.

When I was about eight, I began riding the bus alone. My parents trusted me to get to school, and I knew the system enough to where I wouldn’t get lost. My very first day, I rode the route 33 connecting to the 34 at Oregon City Transit Center. My 33 driver was very kind and we always shared life moments and experiences on the bus. Then one day my most favorite drivers disappeared for a very long time, leaving me wondering, where did she go?

“Why is she not here anymore?” I asked my driver. His response made me think. 

“Oh,” he replied. “I beat her for this route in signup by three spots.” That’s when I became a transit fan. 

After that, I began to absorb transit, learning many of the routes and the jargon bus operators use. Then one day I was labeled a "transit fan" by an operator.

Just a few days later, I saw a driver really struggling with his route. He narrowly missed two cars and was biting his nails in nervousness. He seemed scared, so I decided it was time to display my knowledge. I told him how to turn every corner, and helped him the rest of the route. He had a huge smile on his face and perhaps grateful help had arrived when he felt lost and alone. I then exited the bus feeling satisfied with what I had done. Nearly four years later, we are great friends. 

Photo by Brett Harrison
Throughout the years, I’ve found myself to become an operator advocate, helping everyone I can, whether an operator or passenger. The reaction I hear is always different. Some offer me a smile, yet others tell me “I wasn’t talking to you.” That does not affect me or other advocates; we move on and help others who are willing to take it. 

Throughout the country, every city has transit fans and advocates. We ride for fun or to help others. I know of about five transit fans here in Portland, Oregon. Everyone has their own drivers they know and help. They welcome us every time we step aboard the bus. 

Deke is one of those drivers. I have ridden his bus for several years now. We end up talking about sports, fellow passengers, or things we see on the road. His ride is always smooth and he deals with problem passengers efficiently. After years of reading his blog, and later the book "JUSTDRIVE - Life in the Bus Lane," I’ve learned more about public transit than ever before. He describes what operators endure day and night.

When I first rode Deke’s bus, I talked to him as a regular operator, picking up clues of his being "Deke." Shortly after that, I realized it was him all along. He’s helped me through so many years of my life and would always help with whatever is needed.

Another operator I enjoy riding with is my route 96 driver. Throughout middle school, I rode with her every night. During her breaks, she would tell me to focus on the task at my hand: my homework. I would walk into school the next day comforted it was done thanks to her insisting on my doing the right thing. 

Many transit fans advocates aspire to become bus operators, eagerly awaiting our 21st birthday with a clean driving record to join these seat warriors. Youths tend to be very straightforward when asked our career goals, and the answers can be shocking. “I want to be a transit worker,” some reply. What people don’t understand is some young transit fans spend years preparing to become bus operators. If you know what you want career-wise, follow your dreams. Some will discourage you, but only YOU know what is right for YOU. 

Transit fans are like many adults who ride, except we have studied transit as passengers and have a better understanding of what it’s like to be an operator. We really appreciate what transit workers endure, because we have watched closely. If we can help in any way, we feel we’re a vital part of it all. 

Oregon House Bill 2677 would protect transit workers by making it a felony to assault them while on duty. It could help decrease the number of assaults by providing for strong punishment for such a crime. Transit fans strongly support this bill, because we want the operators we know and love to feel safer. 

Photo by Brett Harrison
I hope every night when I go to bed that all operators I know, and those I have yet to meet, will finish their shifts safely. I marched for a purpose as an advocate, to ensure changes are made and our voices within transit companies are heard throughout the city. 

Operators do not deserve the dangers they face while serving our community. I once witnessed an operator get a steaming-hot cup of coffee splashed in her face. She had refused to allow a passenger’s exit after the bus had left a stop. People need to quit assaulting operators for doing what they are trained to do: give people safe rides. If passengers can arrive home safely, why shouldn’t the operators?

Whew! This was my first guest appearance on a blog, and it wasn’t easy. Deke is not the most gentle of editors. Even so, I pulled through okay. I expect to awake tomorrow with new energy so I can be an even stronger advocate for the many Portland operators I have come to know. 



Comments

  1. Thank's for your support, Brett, we have a few bus fans in Norfolk, VA too. Some drivers can't accept that a passenger knows the route better than they do, but I often defer the passengers' questions to my bus fan.

    You'll make an excellent Operator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a transit fan in Philadelphia, I say well written, Brett, and keep moving forward to achieve your dream job, as I and other fans here have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment