Scottish Travels - Chapter 1


“Freedom and Whisky gang thegither”
-Rabbie Burns

Hello from the beautiful land of the irascible, rebellious shores of Scotland! In all my nearly-six decades, I pen me thoughts from abroad. I never dreamed I would ever have this opportunity, but here I am, writing from my phone in this ancient, mystical yet altogether present reality.
I fail miserably to describe the incredible vistas I have witnessed five days running. Each new sight leaves me wallowing in astonishment. Where Portland Oregon is lacking, Scotland offers a myriad of new wonders. I am simply overwhelmed by its never-ending bounties of visual orgasms.
My beloved sound asleep and my wanderlust fully aroused, I stumbled out into a drizzly Wigtown eve and found a welcoming bar. Upon my entrance, a braugh lad bought me a double Oban 14yo double. As we spoke, I found him to be a construction worker. Given that houses are usually 119-years old and usually more, I felt a felowship with him. Buzzed as we were, the effects of alcohol failed to separate us from the bonds we share as laborers. 
Then Bob came along and I asked him to teach me some Gaelic curses. Instantly, he indulged in an oft-insulting diatribe I couldn’t understand. The bartender verily and heartily responded with hearty outbursts of laughter. Albeit confused, I joined in their laughter at my expense.
I lurched upstairs to my room, and here I leave you. More to come... later.

Comments

Post a Comment