Thanks, President Larry

Deke's Note: I had planned to work on another writing project tonight, a continuing effort to rejuvenate the playful, fun Deke. Earlier today on a break from my route, I learned that the President of Amalgamated Transit Union International, Larry Hanley, had died. It took a moment for this to sink in, but it did with a lead weight. He was very helpful, kind and responsive, and I'll never forget him.


Lawrence J. Hanley
1956-2019

You left us too soon. Although I never met you Mr. Hanley, your words and assistance were invaluable to me when I published my book. Today, I took a moment when I heard you were gone. Inhaled deeply, sighed it back out. I had hoped to thank you personally someday.

When I emailed you back in December '17 about publishing the book "JUST DRIVE - Life in the Bus Lane," you were quick to reply with a short note of support. You didn't just buy one copy of the book, you bought 10. Distributed them to your staff with an expectation they read and gave feedback. It was a measure of respect I'll always cherish.

You were a busy man, and your replies to my emails were concise but timely. Your generosity was obviously one of your many good traits. When you had a blurb inserted to the ATU International magazine "In Transit," I asked for a few extra copies. You sent 100. When I asked for a quote on the Supreme Court's Janus decision, you responded quickly and were optimistic that our brothers and sisters would continue to support the union which works so hard for its members.

My heart aches for your family. You were truly a hard-working, decent man who cared about US. I'm sure you were a wonderful husband and father as well. I'm sure I speak for my fellow brothers and sisters in wishing your family our intensely-deep sympathies.

It is my sincere hope that your legacy of service resonates with those left to fill your shoes. It's a monumental task. You gave every ounce of energy to ensure transit workers (and other union members) are treated with respect and dignity.

You will be missed greatly, President Hanley. Thank you for your dedication to the working men and women of transit. Rest in heavenly peace, kind sir.

Respectfully sad,
Deke N. Blue

Comments