Off to Chicago I Go!


I'm bound for (Sweet Home) Chicago, hoping to meet some CTA operators. One driver in particular, whoever you are, will receive a complimentary/signed copy of "JUST DRIVE - Life in the Bus Lane" for your literary enjoyment.

Looking forward to riding the infamous "El" (Elevated Train) to downtown from Midway Airport. On Sunday/Monday, I will be searching for my next victim, an "impromptu Deke encounter" which involves a greeting from a Portland bus operator to my brother/sister of the road on their home court. I did this in Phoenix last year, and when offered one of my books, Lady Operator looked askance at me and said, "Just put it behind my seat." I'm not sure if she used it for toilet paper or what. Never heard a word. However, my Spokane brother Paul not only had heard of this blog, but reads it regularly and we hope to meet up when he visits Portland this summer! You never know in this wacky world we call a career.

It's been another interesting, challenging week (although abbreviated) as a bus driver. I'm really looking forward to this quick trip to the Land of Lincoln, my favorite president. I haven't been there since I drove an 18-wheeler 20+ years ago, so I'm really looking forward to it.

In my absence, I wish all my fellow operators safe travels. We've been beaten up in horrible fashion here in Portland this year already. I pray it doesn't happen to YOU, but if it does, stay calm and REFUSE to continue in service afterward. PRESS CHARGES against your assailant, if not for yourself but for all of us. Tell Henry Beasley, inform your union rep, and take a few days off. Your passengers are not safe if you operate with diminished capacity.

Also, I will be praying for ATU International President Larry Hanley's family, and for our union members over the loss of our beloved and esteemed leader.

Other than that, I will continue to heal the Deke. You deserve better from me, and I aim to deliver once again. Until then, keep all six on the road, willya? And watch out for idiots... they're breeding like rabbits these days.

;o)
db

PS... GO BLAZERS!

Comments

Post a Comment