My Birthday Bash in the Portland Sun



Today is my Pseudonym Birthday, and I'm six years old. It's astonishing to have written over a million words here, in this short life; I will try not to double that number here.

I've done a lot of soul wandering the past few weeks as I drove my routes. The recurring tune in my rolling video has been how very grateful I am to have you read so many of my 400+ posts. You read in Portland, Chicago, Halifax, Orlando, Dublin, Toronto, Newport, Denver, Spokane, Los Angeles, Sydney, Edinburgh... it amazes me to know our collective plight is one that is shared no matter where we work. I am humbled by your coming back. It's every writer's dream to be read worldwide. You have inspired me to publish my book, JUST DRIVE - Life in the Bus Lane. Each time you click onto this link, you have added to its 285,000 hits. It is unreal to me, that I have touched so many with my humble keyboard rambling.

Your words of support and encouragement helped bring From the Driver Side along when I wondered if the words had withered away like Portland's grass does when the rains stop in early summer. Warming me during the deep winter chills, you kept me from slipping down the perilous slopes of artistic slumps. Chastising me when I needed it, you helped set my crooked mind straighter than a paddle crease. You are as much a part of Deke as the writer, for you have been with me from Day 1: May 5, 2013. Thank you, from the bottom of my new bottle of Irish whiskey, or heart... whichever is deeper at the moment.

No matter how hard I've thought, I cannot come up with the perfect phrase to show you the deep well of appreciation I have for you. Through this blog, I've made many new friends. Many times I have strayed from my original intent for this writing project, and you have gently (or otherwise) guided me back. Thank you again for all you have given me. Deke is truly blessed by your generosity, and for the often-lengthy time it takes you to read my humble keystrokes. I hope to be with you the length of my career. At my funeral someday far into the future (I hope), you must be mentioned in my eulogy, for you have shared every moment I've written about this career and I truly love you for it.

For all the times I wanted to quit and you reached out from all corners of the globe to lift me back up, thank you. To all who have bought my book and taken the time to let me, and potential buyers, know how those words struck a chord in you, my deepest gratitude is too shallow a sentiment for how wonderful it feels. I am truly honored to have been interviewed by the Northwest Labor Press, The Portland Tribune and Oregon Public Broadcasting's "Think Out Loud." I was even featured on Halifax, Nova Scotia's NEWS 95.7 Sheldon Macleod Show, which was a treat.

Larry Hanley, President of Amalgamated Transit Union International; Shirley Block and the Executive Officers of ATU Local 757 and all my fellow operators, station agents, maintenance workers, supervisors, trainers, dispatchers and all who make our wheels roll... you are part of my family and I am deeply in debt to you for your constant support. It is you, and to our collective efforts, to whom this blog is dedicated.

The only group I haven't mentioned yet is our management. It's sad that not only do they know about this blog, but they have decided it isn't worth mention. Your silence is heard by thousands of readers worldwide, and it speaks volumes of your indifference to our plight. I've begged you to respond, to acknowledge my efforts to weave common sense into our collective struggle. Common ground exists between all parties working toward a common goal; it simply requires a few from both sides to reach across the aisle for a connection to sprout and grow. When management refuses to even acknowledge this blog, it proves they have no desire to bridge the widening gap between those of us who make the wheels roll. But I digress... we've been down that road so many times the ruts are widening too deep for repair. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'd likely lose my job rather than see a positive change in that regard.

My life as a bus operator has been rewarding. It has given my family a decent wage to live upon. Until I scored this gig, we didn't know how to make ends meet after my last job ditched me for corporate outsourcing. We had two kids to feed and were close to our breaking point. My beloved wife trusted me when I told her "it will all be okay," even when I doubted it for the first time in my life. I was scared; for the first time ever, I had been unemployed for years. It took a long-ingrained self confidence to hold on to my belief that anything is possible through perseverance. Even then, I was nervous. Yet here we are: me poking the bear that feeds me, with her cubs supporting my artistic endeavor. Thanks my beloved, for believing in my alternating optimism and wavering pessimism. Without my lady love, I would have sunk beyond salvation decades ago.

Today, I'll celebrate this milestone with my beloved and some very close friends. A springtime barbecue with some dear people I wouldn't have met if not for this crazy career. I'll toast your patronage with a hearty sip of Diet Coke because I don't drink spirits when I have to drive somewhere. We'll laugh and enjoy this beautiful Portland spring weather. It's sure to be an afternoon to remember with wonderful people I cherish being with.

Meanwhile, thanks again my dear readers. You are the reason I'm here, and don't ever forget it. Peace and love be with you all.

Love,
Deke

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday... or Blogday? Happy either way, and can't wait to see where the road leads to next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment