I Left My Favorite Route


Deke's Note: The end of a signup was once an exciting time. I looked forward to my new work and lamented on leaving the old behind. We live our jobs in quarter-years; they either resemble the previous three months or offer new horizons. Now, it's more of the same with the sun's cycle being the most obvious change. Here are my thoughts on Winter rolling into Spring '19.

I'm a creature of habit. Driving a bus has become secondary to my job; learning the finer intricacies of a run is more the challenge as I become more seasoned. Today, I left behind a route I've had a love affair with since becoming Operator #DekeForGM. (Put me in charge of the joint and we'd be #1 faster than the wheels of a bus spin.)

This route and I have had a love affair since I first rode prior to working for Portland's transit agency. Vistas are wide as my rolling office window, people are prepared and polite (for the most part, unless they "Hop" on board, apparently giving them permission to ignore me completely), and I have the timing just about perfect for each trip.

Today, I had the honor of a young man riding with me about 90 minutes who knows more about our system than I do. He guessed a photographic riddle, so I awarded him a newly-issued "Deke Writes the Bus" baseball cap. It was bittersweet having him along for the roll, since he boarded my bus last year with the knowledge that I am, indeed, Deke. It shouldn't be hard to discover; I've left hints aplenty. Management either knows and won't say, or are as ignorant as many believe them to be. (Management: I won't lie to you if you ask. I'm not built that way. Just don't fire me! Our relationship has been rough, but I'm forgiving to honest people.)

Anyway, Lad #1 is one of two transit pros with whom I've had the great pleasure to become acquainted. These two fellas know more about our transit system than most managers, down to time points of dozens of routes to who drives how or when or where. It's very touching when they take time just to roll with me and talk. I love kids; that's why I have so many of my own. My tenure as a grandpa has been spotty at best, and my own sires are adults now. I've found myself looking forward to either of these guys riding, and one cold evening I had the pleasure of driving them both. Lads #1 and #2, thank you. Sometimes this job is a bitch, but when young people take such an interest in what we do and share their own knowledge, it becomes fun again. I'm tempted to bestow my only other hat to Lad #2; I've driven him since he was a ball-toting sprout riding with his father.

Today, I said goodbye to a run that has fallen victim to route-switching due to the Powell Garage rebuild. It moved to Merlo, but I cannot follow. For years, I've rolled its scenic and peaceful roads as my week becomes final. Most runs include "regulars" who ride every time you're in the seat. There have been a few I've come to know. Two ladies (sisters, I believe) have boarded downtown and ridden 20 minutes to their destination for as long as I can remember. We parted ways briefly last year, and we were all overjoyed at being reunited again last December.

Unfortunately, it was short-lived. Tonight they both grasped my hands in farewell. One of them slipped me a tip. I protested, but she skipped off quicker than her years suggested possible. It nearly moved me to tears. We don't know each other that well. They ride, I drive. They exit, we exchange pleasantries. It's as simple as transit relationships can be, but it's sweet. Considering most of today's technology-subdued riders can't even meet my glance when I greet them, it's always consoling when people smile and tell me they appreciate my smooth ride. Thank you, ladies... we will meet again sometime down the road apiece.

As I rolled down the familiar streets on my last run, dodging manhole covers out of practice habit, timing lights I've known for years, and predicting motorist behaviors without a scratch, it was tough to not feel sad. Having driven about 80% of our routes, this is easily my favorite. The people don't call in compliments, but they are appreciative nonetheless. They're transit savvy and prepared to board. Very few times have I had to ask Dispatch for any help due to passenger misbehavior. Conversations onboard are intelligent and lively, devoid of boorish jailhouse escapades and bravado. Hitting the Fare Evasion button is rare, and riders are apologetic when they don't have their fares ready. They respond to my cornball humor with polite chuckles, and thank me for noting "the Hood is out today." It's a run I temporarily leave behind with no regrets; I will be back.

I can't leave you with all this mushy crap and not recount at least one Mean Mercedes tale. On one point in my roll, I have to change lanes between two close intersections in order to make a left turn. As operators of large vehicles know, we'll activate our blinkers and move over after at least three seconds; if we're not politely aggressive, we have to stop and wait.

Today, Bozo Benzie saw my blinker and sped up as if to say "Oh no you don't, Bus Boy, I'm more important and... HEY!" I picked my moment perfectly, just as he sped up but was far enough back not to knock him spinning into the intersection. Lad #1 was there as I predicted Meanie's response.

"Watch," I said, "this Mercedes didn't wanna let me in. He's changing lanes now, yep. Gonna honk and flip me off as he zips by."

HONK HONK HONNNNNNNKKKKKK! (finger extended).

I smiled, looked at what I was doing, and made my turn smoothly as usual. Lad #1 laughed.

"Yep," he replied, "he sure did!"

Some people feel "entitled." They drive as if everyone else is in their way. Benzie Boyo is entitled to free driving lessons any time he wants. He'll have to pay about $250/hour for my services, but he's good for at least 20 hours of instruction. It would still be cheaper than the repairs on his preciously-shiny toy if he hit me.

See ya again someday, Route #LoveIt.

Comments

  1. It's always the Mercedes drivers... along with the BMW and Audi drivers, it seems! LOL!!

    One day, I was riding a bus here, and had a seat near the front. Along the way, we encountered so many idiot drivers out there, and the bus driver managing to avoid all potential collisions with them was beyond amazing. Through all of it, the driver said not a word, but you could see the aggravation on his face.

    Then the mother of all moments came while navigating around City Hall when an SUV cut across not one, but TWO lanes, jumping in front of the bus, jammed on his brakes when he realized our lane continued out of the circle, and then jumped back into the next lane to the left. I simply lost it and let loose a short tirade about said SUV driver. There was a pause, and the bus driver started laughing his head off, finally commenting "Dude! I think you just had my road rage from this trip for me!!!"

    That set myself and the few remaining passengers on the bus laughing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment