Just Because...

Just because... I asked you to "lighten up" your clothing so I can see you at night, you get on board every day with a scowl and don't even look at me. No greeting, just the proverbial transit operator snub. Your face scrunched up like a wolverine in heat, face deliberately turned away from mine as I greet you with my customary kindness. Just because... your safety and ensuring you get seen by your drivers is my top concern.

Just because... you had a rotten day, doesn't mean you should take it out on me, your fellow passengers (who don't give a dinky damn), and the gentle karma of my ride. If you're in a grumpy place, leave it behind, along with your grouchy face.

Just because... you've ridden a bus since Jesus was a kid, doesn't make you an expert on transit operation. Your advice is duly noted with a boulder of salt, and rest assured it is promptly filed in my bulging "Don't Care" file next to my Preparation H.

Just because... you see a post from my brother Chuck extolling the literary landmark of my publishing a book, and without reading a word of it, you're not qualified to critique it as another "Grandpa Jones mutter fest."

Just because... you don't like pit bulls, it doesn't mean every one of them is a snarling beast trained to eat your 'nards. If there's one on board when you get on, rest assured the bus driver has duly asked all we're legally allowed to about the dog's status as a "Service Animal." Just because... you have an over-inflated sense of self-importance doesn't give you a green light to complain about my brother doing his job. Especially considering the animal in question was already on the bus when he relieved the previous driver, who is a stickler for passengers adhering to transit code. Some of the sweetest dogs I've known are of this breed. I'd rather have one of them on board than you, sissy boy.

Just because... you paid an obscene price for that fancy new phone, doesn't mean your safety is the responsibility of others; it's a two-way street. Just because... your fancy new phone's camera app is fascinating, doesn't mean we are clairvoyants who automatically realize you're waiting for a different bus line. Just because... I honk to get your attention as I approach that stop, doesn't give you permission to scowl (as if to say, "how DARE you interrupt me?") and wave me away like you're shooing a fly away from your stinky butt. You're welcome.

Just because... I'm a bus operator doesn't mean I know the route and schedule of the bus you're waiting for. How about looking up the schedule yourself, since you're phone-stoned to begin with?

Just because... your car cost more than I make in a year, doesn't make you immune from obeying basic traffic laws. You may think you're important, but perhaps you're about 1/40th as much as those on my bus. Just because... you're behind the wheel of that snob-mobile, doesn't mean you can actually drive it.

Just because... I get paid a decent wage for a job that's infinitely more difficult than you can fathom, doesn't mean you're entitled to verbally abuse me. And, chances are your taxes do NOT pay my salary.

Just because... you pulled the stop cord late because your nose was buried in Donald's Tweet Factory doesn't mean I'm apt to slam on my brakes and throw Vinny Veteran on the floor just to accommodate your inattentive ass. I didn't miss your bus stop, you did. The next stop is just a few blocks ahead. Maybe next time you'll pay attention.

Just because... you should do the right thing in the first place.




Comments

  1. Great blog post! Nice and punchy... maybe in retirement you might want to try talk radio. :-)

    Oh and yes, I asked for a Men's Waterproof Raincoat With Hood SWISSWELL Navy Blue Large that at least has some reflective properties. Because I read your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL talk radio! I'd be fired the first day! Great that you took my advice to LIGHTEN UP!!! My greatest wish fulfilled, that you be seen and stay safe. Oh, and thanks for reading the book. Hope you enjoyed it. Peace, Mr. K.

      Delete
  2. Soo True !! Guess what... I finally got your book . To bad not signed but can't wait to read..Thank You ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! If you're in Portland, hit me up and I'd LOVE to sign it! Oh and no... thank YOU! ;)

      Delete
  3. This was a much needed read...
    CATS Charlotte, NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe all cell phones have an app now for a flashlight. Mine is in the settings drop-down list. Pax need to use it if not wear a jacket with reflective tape. Some of my pax carried a flashlight. Be seen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.
    Round Bag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment