An Author's Muse

Dear Readers,

It's nice for a dream to become reality. The trick is to not expect it to succeed beyond all imagination. Publishing my first book has been my goal since I was unable to grow a beard. Now that I have done both, it's difficult to sit and watch what happens.

I've always had a problem with wanting more. No matter how well I do in life, there's a sense that I could do better. It's hard to sit back and enjoy one success. If this keeps up, my gravestone will read: "He went far, but maybe too far; he fell off a cliff while taking the road less traveled."

Stopping to smell the roses has always done me well. Allowing the scent to linger, and enjoying the moment, is difficult when you keep seeking better roses. Handle your favorite too much, and you'll find a thorn to prick a finger. I spent so much time trying to perfect the bloom, when I finally let it go, the petals flew off the bud. Now it's out of my hands, and in those of an audience.

It's actually a relief, when I refuse to critique and simply accept that it's finished. I can't even read it now. There were so many edits, corrections, additions and deletions, I'm afraid to find something that could have been improved just... a... wee... bit more. More. There's that word again. It's good enough Deke, just let it go.


It's actually a good thing I haven't left the safety net of the Deke Mystique. If it does well, I don't feel comfortable being "recognized." If it clunks, ditto. Let the words do the speaking; I type better than I speak. Perhaps it's a bit of literary cowardice, but it's also a safety net. My job is to drive; my love is writing about it. I'm one when I drive, sometimes both. Either way, concentration and vigilance is vital in my quest to provide a safe and smooth ride every day. Allowing Deke to take over is a form of vanity neither of me can afford.

The marketing is left to those who purchase, then read, JUST DRIVE. Several have left glowing reviews on Amazon. The Portland Tribune published a glowing literary review this week. Blogger Al Margulies graciously interviewed me; not just once, but even longer the second time. I'm thankful for each, and simultaneously a bit surprised. There will be others not so complimentary. If I make back the investment put into production, it will be a success. If not, it wasn't a giant monetary loss. Anything more will be a bonus only achieved (to date) in my daydreams.

As I drove today, I passed by a good friend and fellow operator driving in the opposite direction. To my great amusement, he held up his copy of my book with a huge grin on his face. My passengers may have wondered what caused me to laugh out loud, but it felt so damn good. It was a moment of pure, delightful joy.

Read on, folks. Tell people about this book, ask them to do the same. It's all a writer can ask. Oh, and thanks for taking the ride with me.

With appreciation, I most certainly am
Deke N. Blue
Author

Comments