Friday Quickie

Friday afternoon, typical manic traffic in a hurry to get nowhere fast. Going uphill in a 17-year-old bus, hitting every red light. Got to a transit center only three minutes down, halfway through the run. Nearly all passengers are accustomed to the drill.

As riders exit, I offer my customary "thanks for riding folks, have a great weekend!". That one customer, the jerk you get every once in a while, that hemorrhoidal itch on the scrotum of humanity, looks at me in disgust on his way out the door.

"Try stepping on the gas next time," he said with a snarl.

Considering these buses do 0-30mph in about a week and we were almost full to capacity, it was a marvel we weren't later. Much later.

Usually, it takes me a while to retort; not this time.

"This bus is old, but your manners are pretty fresh," I replied.

Good thing he left the bus quickly. Good thing I was driving and not him, or we never would have arrived. Good thing I'm patient. Bad thing some people are just plain ignorant.

To paraphrase an old joke, I may drive slow, but he's ugly and I can speed up.

Happy weekend everybody.

Comments

Post a Comment