Monday, August 1, 2016

I'm Such a Dork!


When driving a bus, it's easy to become distracted. You're constantly scanning, measuring braking or following distances, planning smooth stops and welcoming or de-boarding passengers. Sometimes for me, the mind doesn't match what the mouth says. I'm the guy who once spat at the medicine cabinet and threw his toothbrush into the sink, for cryin' out loud.

I doubt that I'm reaching senility at this cool age of 50-something. However, I begin to wonder sometimes. Here's why.

Today (and a few other times lately) I had people boarding and others leaving my bus. Since I try to greet even the grumpiest-looking folks as they leave the bus, as well as acknowledge the many thank-you's and "have a nice day" folks, I get a bit tongue twisty.

One lady de-boarded through the front door as I was printing fares for those boarding at a busy downtown stop.

"Thank you," the nice lady said as she exited.

"Hi," I replied.

To the new passenger I printed the fare for: "Have a nice day, thanks for riding."

Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment