Saturday, October 24, 2015

Just Drive... Asshole


It's been a particularly rough week. Without going into details that might later reveal my identity, let's just say I was the victim of a brutal verbal assault. It happens from time to time, but rarely on my route.

As a bus operator, I'm used to it. People seem to think I'm there to serve them, as if I'm their personal freakin' chauffeur. What they don't understand, or even believe, is that riding a bus is a privilege, not a right. Just because you plunk down a few bucks plus change doesn't give you the right to boss me around. Quite the opposite is true, especially if they decide to make their own rules.

When I'm behind the wheel, it's my bus. Not the transit agency's, not the taxpayers, not those riding in it. I am the captain of the ship. It is my duty to safely transport passengers on a specific route to their destination. Abiding by our Standard Operating Procedures, I am paid to operate a vehicle that is difficult, at best, to operate. In addition to following the law, something most motorists refuse to do, it takes a professional to maneuver 20 tons of glass and steel along narrow streets originally designed for horse-drawn carriages.

A person of average intelligence might deduce it isn't in their best interest to annoy, harass, insult or even assault a bus operator. Most people do not. But there's about one percent of the riding public which seems to delight in it. Professional assholes, you might say. They might be mentally ill, but whatever their excuse, they still don't have the right to put the entire bus in danger. Unless our attention is strictly focused on safely operating our bus, we become a "distracted driver". This is the most dangerous of all the species of humanis operatus, but the most common of the average auto/truck/delivery drivers. The safest of the lot are 100% in tune with their vehicle's surroundings, and constantly predict dangerous behavior in and around it. This requires complete concentration with very little distraction.

Sometimes, I will chastise a passenger if they're chatting a bit too loudly on their phone, or if I can hear the music in their earphones. It's distracting, and takes me out of my safety zone. General conversation on the bus is white noise, just like the diesel engine. When a passenger erupts into a vile, profane and ignorant tirade when a bus operator asks them to abide by agency rules, they have put the entire bus at risk, and everyone within it.

So when Jim Jerkoff, who is highly impressed with himself or on dumbass pills, decides he doesn't have to obey me, things can turn sour. Fast. By cursing, shouting and screaming at me, he hasn't just dented my safety zone, he has demolished it. Rather than elaborate on our heated exchange, here's what I dearly would love to say to one of these imbeciles, but cannot if I want to remain employed.

JJ: "Shut the fuck up, don't tell me what to do. I pay your salary so shut up. Just drive Asshole." (Comma omitted on purpose.)

Me (over bus intercom): "Ladies and gentlemen, at our next stop I must ask you all to disembark from this bus. I've been instructed to 'just drive Asshole'. Since there's only one person on this bus fitting that description, I'm sorry but all you polite and decent people must leave so I can carry out his command. Thank you for riding, be sure to thank Asshole for this inconvenience."

12 comments:

  1. This is about when the Lion becomes Rampant! "If YOU'RE going to be abusive, you will find yourself walking!" "If YOU don't like the service you find on this bus, YOU can simply step outside and wait for the next bus." "Here, do YOU need a higher authority to come explain this to YOU? Let me get one here for YOU right now (sending the MSG 32 Loud Verbal button on the ship's computer)."

    Oh, no, sir. You don't disrespect me and still benefit from my service excellence. Not today, and probably not tomorrow either.

    Sorry you ran into this rat bastard, brother Deacon. Unfortunately, because the district management has trained the public to expect "customer service" on a public conveyance, they have, at the same time, compromised operator security and subsequently, public safety. Unfortunately, since Fred Hansen and then Neil McFarlane took over the company, the 1% has grown to more like 20%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The important thing is that operators must know when to call it a day. If you are affected to such a point you cannot drive safely, it's imperative to step off rather than risk the safety of your passengers.

      Delete
  2. I will never understand our culture of acceptable abuse with bus drivers. 17 plus years I've seen it all, been spat on and punched, had various other nasty things happen....why? It's not ok for these sub humans both on and off the bus to abuse us. A world wide phenomenon, I'll die wondering why

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your not kidding, but 1% is really low, more like 10 .. when i started 16.5 yrs ago here in Calgary i was told it was around 2%. The a-holes that demand things their way just don't listen when your trying to tell them how it is, even when you are trying to help them .. but no, it's all about "me, me,me, with them. It's funny how us bus drivers can see them coming to. How many times have you pulled up to a stop and said to yourself " Oh boy here's trouble " usually it's a daily occurrence. A lot of the awesome people that ride the bus must wonder why we keep coming back, it's because we know this is at times unavoidable and when things go wrong we take a moment to be thankful for the many things that are going right. LC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the percentage varies from place to place. In my experience, a smile and friendly greeting is disarming to most wanna-be assholes. It's also a good way to gain allies during the ride. Plus, a human's natural reaction to a smile, normally, is to smile back.

      Delete
  4. Your not kidding, but 1% is really low, more like 10 .. when i started 16.5 yrs ago here in Calgary i was told it was around 2%. The a-holes that demand things their way just don't listen when your trying to tell them how it is, even when you are trying to help them .. but no, it's all about "me, me,me, with them. It's funny how us bus drivers can see them coming to. How many times have you pulled up to a stop and said to yourself " Oh boy here's trouble " usually it's a daily occurrence. A lot of the awesome people that ride the bus must wonder why we keep coming back, it's because we know this is at times unavoidable and when things go wrong we take a moment to be thankful for the many things that are going right. LC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Great post. Gonna cross post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I retired one year ago after driving transit bus in the Vancouver area for 33 years. You express my feelings so well....wish I'd found your writings before I'd retired....stay safe out there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate your kind words and readership. Please share!

      Delete
  7. Quite witty...nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work.
    Z3X Box Driver

    ReplyDelete