Sunday, August 16, 2015

Busted!


A dear lady friend, whom I haven't seen in quite a while, approached me at the garage as we finished our runs the other night.

"Can I ask you something personal?" she asked.

"Well," I replied, "I suppose so JuneBug. What do you want to know?"

"I was reading From the Driver Side the other day, and I think I made a connection. Are you the Deacon in Blue?"

Wow! Pow! Slammo! Zing! Bam!

Busted. So much for that pseudo anonymity that has led to my self-perpetuated dual personality. There was no question as to which one of me would respond.

"Um," I stammered, "what makes you ask that?"

"Because, if it IS you, and I think it really is, you talk just like you write. It is you, isn't it?"

There it was, laid out on the table. My dual persona, ready to be devoured. Yet all was not yet lost. Several people know my true identity, and JuneBug is about as safe a friend with my 'secret' as anybody. It was just a bit unnerving that she was able to make that connection. I mean, we're friends true enough, but we haven't spent much time getting to know each other very closely. She's one of those people though, who make you feel as if you've known each other for years. Easy to talk to, really sweet and friendly.

"Well," I told her, "You guessed right then. But I had no idea..."

JuneBug laughed. "I knew it!"

"Really though?" I asked, incredulous. "I actually write how I speak? I had no idea."

Evidently, I do. My wife doesn't see it, but perhaps that's because she's so close to me. It's fascinating though. I've written since I was about 10. It's always come naturally to me, and I reckon my style is akin to you and I just sitting here having a conversation. It seems comfortable if I just write as if you're right across this desk watching me type.

Only problem is, I hate people watching me write. Somebody might just guess who I am.

1 comment: